Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Greetings from the Warm Heart of Africa.

Hello Everyone!
We have arrived safely and are getting into the routine of things.
It generally goes kind of like this.
Wake up at 6:00 and eat breakfast.
Then get everything we will need to teach nursery school. We have a poster with a Bible verse written in Chichewa for the children to memorize and several other things we need to get ready.
We walk to the Orphan Care Project office at 8:00.
We then crochet a few granny squares while we wait for the other people to show up. 8:00 in Malawi time usually means about 8:30. So I almost have a blanket made already!
Once the driver and the two coordinators arrive we are off to nursery school. We teach at a different one every day. We have to show the teachers how be more creative. So we teach alphabet with flashcards, Bible stories, memory verses, games and counting. This morning we played 'Duck Duck Goose" and they loved it!
At 10:30 we go back to the office, do some filing or write some reports.
We have a lunch break from 12-2 and then we go to visit different villages and see the orphans and their guardians and homes. We do different things with them. Soon we will be building playgrounds at the schools. . .from scratch! should be fun!
We go home at 5:00, cook supper, do devotions, have a shower etc and then go to bed already to start the new day tomorrow. Every day is new and different and exciting, but that is what we usually do. Thank-you for all your prayers and encouragement. The people here are also very thankful for all your support and love. I can't wait to see you all again.
Please pray for us as we face the different challenges each new day brings. Please pray that we will display Christ our Lord in everything we do and that we will be a blessing to the people here. Thankyou!

7 comments:

Carol-Lee Joy said...

You are definately in my prayers (both of you).

Naomi Van Manen said...

I miss you so much :(....but I'm praying for you both...I'm sure you're having a huge impact on the kids you work with already...
God bless

Luv, Naomi

nadine j. said...

My dearest Amy,

I miss you. So much. I am truely sorry that I have not called yet. It's not because I'm scared. Well, that plays a little part. But, it is also because I'm still at school when you are going to bed. Unless I call you at four o'clock our time, which is ten o'clock your time.
I am trying, Amy, I really am.

Hug with prayer, and love.
Nadine

Harlin said...

Greetings from Cambridge.. Hi girls.. just got your blog address yesterday. We sure are praying for you both. We keep thinking of the impact you have not only on the children you are blessing but also your hearts.. Many blessings to you both..

Much love,

Mrs Bartz and fam..

Anonymous said...

you girls are in my prayers. it's so cool to actually read what you're doing, instead of just imagining it!
i miss you. ALOT.

God Bless, and lots of love,

-brittni

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so glad you guys started a blog . . . we pray for you!

K, I'm really excited to hear about building playgrounds from scratch, so you'd better keep posting!

(Baby just waved to you!!) :)
May the Lord bless you and keep you, may He cause His face to shine upon you and give you His peace.
Love,
Amy & Steve

Linda Boven said...

Enjoyed your update. It's exciting to hear how you're spending your time there. May God continue to bless you with good health and safety, and may He use you mightily for His kingdom!
Blessings to you both.